Selling Canva templates is a great way to earn money online. With over 100 million users on Canva spanning 190 countries, there is a rapidly growing demand for premade Canva templates. A lot of Canva users are willing to pay for a professional-looking Canva template that matches their needs and aesthetics.
Creating and selling Canva templates can be a lucrative side hustle or even a full-time business. However, it’s important to know the best practices for creating and selling your templates to ensure that you are successful. In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to sell Canva templates and make money on the side. We will also cover common mistakes to avoid when selling Canva templates and answer frequently asked questions about selling Canva templates.
Understanding Canva Templates
Canva templates are pre-designed layouts that make it easy for users to create professional-looking designs quickly. These templates are customizable, meaning that users can change the colors, fonts, images, and text to fit their needs.
Canva offers a wide range of templates, including social media graphics, presentations, posters, flyers, business cards, resumes, and more. Users can also create their own templates, which they can use themselves or sell to others.
One advantage of using Canva templates is that they save time and effort. Instead of starting from scratch, users can simply choose a template that matches their needs and customize it to their liking. This can be especially helpful for users who are not design-savvy or who don’t have the time to create designs from scratch.
Another advantage of using Canva templates is that they are affordable. Canva offers a free version that includes thousands of templates, as well as a paid version that includes additional features and templates. This makes it accessible for users who are on a tight budget.
However, it’s important to note that while Canva templates can be a great starting point, they should not be used as a substitute for original design work. Templates can be easily recognizable and may not be unique to a user’s brand or message. It’s important to use templates as a starting point and then customize them to fit a user’s specific needs and style.
Overall, Canva templates are a useful tool for users who want to create professional-looking designs quickly and affordably. By understanding how to use and customize templates effectively, users can create designs that are unique and effective.
Preparing Your Canva Template for Sale
When preparing your Canva template for sale, there are a few important steps to take to ensure that it is ready for purchase. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Choose a niche: Before creating your Canva template, it’s important to choose a niche that you want to focus on. This will help you create a template that is tailored to your target audience and will increase the chances of it selling. Some popular niches for Canva templates include social media graphics, marketing materials, and printables.
- Design your template: Once you have chosen your niche, it’s time to start designing your Canva template. Keep in mind that your template should be visually appealing and easy to use. Use high-quality images and fonts, and make sure that the layout is clean and organized.
- Customize your template: After designing your template, it’s important to customize it to make it unique. Add your own branding elements, such as your logo or color scheme, and make sure that the template is easily customizable for your customers.
- Test your template: Before selling your Canva template, it’s important to test it thoroughly to ensure that it works as intended. Test all of the elements, such as text boxes and image placeholders, to make sure that they are functioning properly.
- Price your template: Finally, it’s time to price your Canva template. Research the prices of similar templates in your niche and price your template competitively. Keep in mind that you may need to adjust your price over time based on customer feedback and demand.
By following these steps, you can create a high-quality Canva template that is ready for sale. Remember to choose a niche, design your template, customize it, test it, and price it competitively.
Setting the Right Price
When it comes to selling Canva templates, pricing is an essential factor that can make or break your sales. If you price your templates too high, potential customers might look for more affordable options, and if you price them too low, you might not make enough profit. Therefore, it’s crucial to set the right price for your Canva templates.
Here are some factors to consider when setting the price for your Canva templates:
The complexity of your Canva template design is a crucial factor in determining its price. The more intricate and detailed your design is, the higher the price you can charge for it. However, keep in mind that overly complex designs might not be as popular among customers who prefer simplicity.
2. Time and Effort
The amount of time and effort you put into creating your Canva template should also be considered when setting the price. If you spend hours creating a high-quality template, you should charge more than if you create a simple design in a few minutes.
3. Market Demand
Another factor to consider is the market demand for your Canva template. If your template is in high demand and there are few competitors, you can charge a higher price. However, if there are many similar templates available, you might need to lower your price to remain competitive.
When selling Canva templates, you should also consider the licensing terms. If you offer a commercial license that allows customers to use your template for commercial purposes, you can charge a higher price. However, if you only offer a personal license, your price might need to be lower.
5. Customer Budget
Finally, you should consider your target customers’ budget when setting the price for your Canva templates. If your templates are targeted to small businesses or individuals, you should keep the price affordable. However, if your target customers are larger companies or agencies, you can charge a higher price.
In conclusion, setting the right price for your Canva templates is crucial to your success as a seller. Consider the complexity of your design, the time and effort you put into creating it, market demand, licensing terms, and your target customers’ budget when determining the price.
Marketing Your Canva Template
Once you have created your Canva template, it’s time to market it to potential buyers. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Use Social Media: Social media platforms like Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook are great places to promote your Canva template. Share images of your template and use relevant hashtags to reach your target audience. Consider running paid ads on these platforms to increase visibility.
- Create a Website: A website can be a great way to showcase your Canva template and provide potential buyers with more information. Consider creating a landing page specifically for your template, including images, pricing, and a call-to-action (CTA) to purchase.
- Utilize Email Marketing: Email marketing can be a powerful tool to promote your Canva template. Build an email list of potential buyers and send out a newsletter showcasing your template, along with any promotions or discounts you may be offering.
- Collaborate with Influencers: Consider partnering with influencers in your niche to promote your Canva template. This can be a great way to reach a wider audience and build credibility for your product.
- Offer Free Samples: Consider offering a free sample of your Canva template to potential buyers. This can be a great way to showcase the quality of your product and entice buyers to make a purchase.
Remember, marketing your Canva template is all about reaching your target audience and showcasing the value of your product. By utilizing a combination of these strategies, you can increase visibility and drive sales for your template.
Choosing the Right Platform
When it comes to selling your Canva templates, choosing the right platform is crucial. Here are some options to consider:
Online marketplaces like Etsy, Creative Market, and Gumroad are popular platforms to sell Canva templates. These marketplaces have a built-in audience, which can help you reach more potential customers. However, keep in mind that these platforms usually charge a fee for each sale, and you may face competition from other sellers.
If you want more control over your sales and branding, consider selling your Canva templates on your own website. This allows you to set your own prices, keep all of your profits, and have full control over your sales and marketing strategy. However, building a website can be time-consuming and require some technical skills.
Social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook can be a great way to promote and sell your Canva templates. You can create a business account and use features like Instagram Shopping or Facebook Marketplace to sell your templates directly through the platform. However, keep in mind that social media algorithms can be unpredictable, and it may take time to build a following and drive sales.
No matter which platform you choose, make sure to research the fees, terms, and conditions before signing up. Consider your goals, audience, and resources to determine the best platform for your business.
Delivering Your Canva Template
Once you have created your Canva template, the next step is to deliver it to your customers. There are a few ways to do this, but the most common method is to provide a downloadable file that includes the template.
When it comes to creating a downloadable file for your Canva template, the most common format is a PDF file. This allows you to embed the template link within the PDF, so your customers can easily access the template after downloading the file. You can also include additional information within the PDF, such as instructions on how to use the template or tips for customization.
Alternatively, you can provide the template link directly to your customers without embedding it within a PDF file. This can be done by sending the link via email or including it in a message on your chosen selling platform.
There are a variety of platforms available for selling your Canva templates, each with its own pros and cons. Some popular options include:
- Gumroad: This platform allows you to easily sell digital products, including Canva templates. You can set your own price and customize your product page to showcase your template.
- Etsy: Although primarily known for handmade items, Etsy also allows you to sell digital products like Canva templates. You can set up a shop and customize your listings to attract potential customers.
- Your own website: If you have your own website, you can sell your Canva templates directly through your site. This gives you complete control over the selling process and allows you to keep all of the profits.
Once you have made a sale, it’s important to deliver your Canva template to your customer as quickly and efficiently as possible. Some delivery methods include:
- Email: You can send the downloadable file or template link directly to your customer via email.
- Selling platform: If you are selling your template through a platform like Gumroad or Etsy, the platform will handle the delivery process for you.
- Your own website: If you are selling your template through your own website, you can set up an automated delivery system that sends the downloadable file or template link to your customer after they make a purchase.
Overall, delivering your Canva template is a crucial step in the selling process. By choosing the right file format, selling platform, and delivery method, you can ensure a seamless experience for your customers and boost your sales in the process.
Handling Customer Queries and Feedback
As a seller of Canva templates, it is important to handle customer queries and feedback in a professional and timely manner. Customers may have questions about the template, its features, or its compatibility with their device or software. It is important to provide clear and accurate information to the customer to avoid any confusion or dissatisfaction.
One way to handle customer queries is to provide a detailed FAQ section on your website or product page. This can include information about the template, its features, and any specific requirements or limitations. Providing clear and concise answers to common questions can help customers make an informed decision and reduce the number of queries you receive.
Another way to handle customer queries is to offer support via email or a messaging system. This allows customers to ask specific questions and receive personalized support. It is important to respond to queries in a timely manner and provide clear and accurate information. If a customer is experiencing issues with the template, it may be necessary to troubleshoot the issue or provide a refund if the template is not working as advertised.
In addition to handling customer queries, it is important to listen to and address customer feedback. Feedback can provide valuable insights into the customer’s experience with the template and may reveal areas for improvement. It is important to take feedback seriously and make changes to the template or your selling process if necessary.
One way to encourage feedback is to provide a review system on your product page. This allows customers to leave a rating and review of the template, which can help other potential customers make an informed decision. It is important to respond to reviews, both positive and negative, and address any issues or concerns raised by the customer.
Overall, handling customer queries and feedback is an important part of selling Canva templates. By providing clear and accurate information, offering personalized support, and listening to customer feedback, you can build a positive reputation as a seller and improve the overall customer experience.
Maintaining and Updating Your Canva Templates
Once you have created your Canva template, it’s important to keep it up to date and relevant. This will ensure that your customers continue to find value in your product and keep coming back for more.
Here are a few tips for maintaining and updating your Canva templates:
- Regularly review and update your template: Keep an eye on your template’s performance and make changes as necessary. This could include updating the colors, fonts, or layout, or adding new elements to keep the design fresh.
- Stay up to date with design trends: Keep an eye on the latest design trends and incorporate them into your templates. This will ensure that your templates stay relevant and appealing to your customers.
- Listen to customer feedback: Pay attention to feedback from your customers and use it to improve your templates. This could include adding new features, simplifying the design, or making other changes based on customer needs.
- Provide support and updates: Make sure to provide ongoing support to your customers and keep them informed of any updates or changes to your templates. This will help build trust and loyalty with your customers.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your Canva templates remain relevant and valuable to your customers over time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I monetize my Canva templates?
One way to monetize your Canva templates is by selling them on various online platforms. You can also offer them as part of a package deal or as a bonus for purchasing other products. Additionally, you can use your templates to create custom designs for clients and charge a fee for your services.
What are the best platforms to sell Canva templates?
There are several popular platforms where you can sell your Canva templates, including Etsy, Creative Market, and Gumroad. Each platform has its own rules and fees, so it’s important to do your research and choose the one that best suits your needs.
What are the legal considerations when selling Canva designs?
When selling Canva designs, it’s important to make sure you have the legal right to do so. This means either creating your own original designs or obtaining the necessary licenses and permissions for any third-party elements you use in your templates. You should also consider trademark and copyright laws to avoid any legal issues.
How do I price my Canva templates for sale?
Pricing your Canva templates can be tricky, but a good rule of thumb is to consider the time and effort you put into creating them, as well as the value they provide to potential buyers. You can also research similar templates on various platforms to get an idea of what others are charging.
What are some tips for creating Canva templates that sell?
When creating Canva templates that sell, it’s important to focus on providing value to your target audience. This means identifying their needs and creating templates that solve their problems or make their lives easier. You should also pay attention to design trends and create templates that are visually appealing and on-trend.
How much can I realistically expect to earn from selling Canva templates?
The amount you can earn from selling Canva templates varies depending on several factors, including the quality of your designs, the demand for your templates, and the platforms you use to sell them. However, with a little effort and marketing, you can earn a steady stream of passive income from selling Canva templates.